President Donald Trump said he would exclude the popular TikTok video app from operating in the United States.

Trump told Air Force reporters on a Friday night that, according to The Hill, he would use emergency forces or an executive order to block the app.

"As far as TikTok is concerned, we are banning it from the United States," he told reporters. "I have this authority."

It is unclear what powers Trump was referring to and how his administration plans to act against the app.

TikTok did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

According to reports, Trump said he would not support the takeover of the app by a U.S. company, contradicting earlier reports from Friday that he would soon sign an executive order demanding that TikTok's U.S. activities be removed from his in China resident company ByteDance be separated.

Microsoft was reportedly in talks to buy the app. However, since Trump announced that his government would not approve a sale to U.S. owners, it was unclear whether this option would remain.

TikTok – which has grown in popularity and has hundreds of millions of users – has come under fire for its alleged ties to the Chinese government. Politicians expressed concern that user data could be collected for a foreign power.

Although experts say TikTok's privacy policies are no better or worse than U.S.-powered apps like Facebook, some politicians have taken action. India has banned TikTok because of its Chinese property, the U.S. Foreign Investment Committee in the United States has launched an investigation into ByteDance, and the house has recently passed a law that prohibits downloading the app on federal devices.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said earlier this month that the US is "considering" banning the app as well.

Editor's recommendations




LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here