HBO Max started in May.
Warner Bros./HBO max
HBO Max, WarnerMedia's streaming service from AT&T, offers an extensive library of additional shows and originals that you cannot find on its regular HBO network, but there is also some confusion: how much does it cost you specifically? What happened to HBO?? And on Roku or ?
Similar to the rivals Netflix and, HBO Max has an extensive catalog of hit shows and as well as a large list of exclusive originals on a large budget. General, is the most expensive of all. New subscribers can sign up after a one-week free trial and pay $ 15 a month. This corresponds to the price that HBO is already charging for its regular channel with most pay-TV providers and for its existing independent streaming service HBO Now. Some (but not all) current HBO customers can get HBO Max at no additional cost.
And the different apps from HBO –, HBO Now and now HBO Max – were won on Saturday. The company got rid of HBO Go and HBO Now became a renamed app called HBO. At the end of the changes, the company will only have two apps: an HBO app that costs $ 15 a month and is limited to programming in the regular network for people who pay directly for the app, and then HBO Max, which is also $ 15 a month, but with twice as many shows and films.
However, these changes are causing some headaches for Roku and Amazon Fire TV users. HBO Max cannot be streamed on these devices because no distribution transactions could be concluded. And they are the most popular streaming devices in the country. Roku and Amazon Fire TV together made up 70% of streaming devices in the United States last year.
Anyone who is currently streaming HBO Go on a Roku or Fire TV will fail. Without Max, the app that Go is supposed to effectively replace, users of these devices have to jump through some frames to stream HBO once Go is gone. (See the Device Support section below for more information.)
HBO Max started with almost the entire catalog of Studio Ghibli animated films that were streamed for the first time in the United States.
Studio Ghibli / GKids
To tempt you to try it on other platforms, HBO Max has filled up with more content than you can find on the regular HBO channel and HBO Now. HBO Max doubles the programming effort for the same price. AT&T, which HBO owns as part of its WarnerMedia TV and film division, has spent billions of dollars on its budgets for original programs and expensive offers for streaming blockbuster films, , Studio Ghibli and the as well as popular shows like Friends, The Big Bang Theory, Rick and Morty, and new episodes of . (A deeper insight into Max's shows and films is given towards the end of this article.)
HBO Max will also have podcasts in its library based on its program, much like last year's Chernobyl miniseries podcast companion. It works with iHeartRadio on a series of podcasts linked to the upcoming originals and legacy shows from HBO Max. Two of the first shows to get an accompanying podcast are Search Party, the comedy thriller that previously aired on TBS, and Raised by Wolves, an original science fiction drama directed by Ridley Scott.
The so-called Max Originals from HBO Max also offer new, exclusive shows and films. The latest high-quality exclusive product is the legendary. The service also had six originals, including the anthology series Love Life with Anna Kendrick. (HBO Max announced two weeks after the launch that Love Life was extended for a second season.) HBO Max added 11 more originals this summer, including the premiere of Seth Rogen's comedy film An American Pickle on August 6.
An eagerly awaited original was missing at launch. A Friends Reunion Special should serve exclusively as a service marquee on the first day. But like most things in the world, the original HBO Max productions were made by thePandemic. People across the nation, confined to their homes, stream a lot more, but the novel coronavirus and its respiratory diseases have also stopped television productions worldwide. HBO Max has announced that it will deliver 95% of the new shows and films that were scheduled for launch and soon after. (The company has announced that it will film friends' reunion by the end of summer.)
The $ 15 monthly price for HBO Max equates to the cost of HBO Now and HBO's regular channel if you purchase it from most pay TV providers. By comparison, Disney Plus costs $ 7 a month and Netflix & # 39; most popular tier costs $ 13 a month.
Pricing is straightforward for new HBO customers. Just sign up and pay the $ 15 monthly fee after a seven-day free trial. Early next year, HBO Max will add a new tier that is cheaper every month but includes commercials to support the discount.
However, if you're already paying for HBO, the question of whether you can get a free upgrade to HBO Max isn't an easy answer. Some people who already have a regular HBO subscription or HBO Now will get one, but not every. In order for you to receive the automatic upgrade to Max, HBO must sign a contract with the company that HBO is already charging you, regardless of whether it is a cable television company like Charter or a digital provider like Apple or Amazon.
HBO Max has stepped up these offerings, and there is a growing list of providers that allow their HBO customers to upgrade to Max. (See the full list below.) However, HBO Max doesn't have deals with every provider. If you're in this boat, you may have to choose: either pay twice – one bill for regular HBO and another for HBO Max – or cancel your current HBO subscription to sign up directly with Max instead.
This confusion can be a factor in HBO Max's difficulty in getting current HBO Pay TV subscribers to sign up for Max, even if they already qualify for an upgrade at no additional cost. Only about 1.1 million people have activated a Max account by updating their existing HBO service, which they pay through a regular TV provider. This is due to more than 30 million current HBO customers who may qualify for a free upgrade. All you have to do is download the app, sign up and watch it – but millions are not there yet.
In total, around 4.1 million HBO Max accounts signed up in the first month. That's far less than the more than 10 million registrations Disney Plus reported in just over 24 hours after it launched in November. But people who use HBO Max seem to like it: people spend 70% more time watching Max than HBO Now, the company's previous standalone streaming app, based on the average hours they spend each week.
One thing that would lead to more people flocking to HBO Max during the coronavirus pandemic would be the premiere of big-budget films like Tenet or Wonder Woman 1984. Other Hollywood giants, including Disney and Comcasts, have Universal Pictures for some of her films, which were originally intended for the big screen, have been switched to online debuts, such as the release of Hamilton by Disney Plus earlier this month.
But HBO Max won't premiere Warner Bros. & # 39; The principle of the streaming service and AT&T stated that other films like Wonder Woman 1984 are unlikely to end up in the streaming service until long after the theatrical release, if this happens. While the company may be moving some films from its cinema table to HBO Max, the CEO of AT&T said this was "marginally satisfied".
Another big hole?Resolution or image quality with high dynamic range at startup. reflects that HBO feels that it is still under construction until the service solves these problems.
So yes, it's all complicated. Below you will find more detailed information about the costs, discounts, the app and the shows and films of HBO Max.
Which devices can stream HBO Max?
HBO Max is available on a variety of devices, including phones, tablets, the Internet, connected TVs, and game consoles. However, apps are missing on Roku and Amazon Fire TV.
- Most Apple devices that can stream video support HBO Max – iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Apple TV 4K, and Apple TV HD. However, customers with second and third generation Apple TV models will need to stream HBO Max content from their iPhone or iPad to their TV using AirPlay.
- Google's Android operating system for phones and tablets has an app for Android TVs. Chromebooks, Google Chromecast and built-in Chromecast devices also support HBO Max.
- Sony's PlayStation 4 systems can download the HBO Max app from the PlayStation Store.
- Microsoft's Xbox One game consoles have the HBO Max app from the Microsoft Store.
- Selected Samsung Smart TVs connected to the Internet – models from 2016 to 2020 – can download and buy HBO Max directly.
However, two major streaming devices do not have HBO Max. Neither Roku nor Amazon Fire TV devices support HBO Max, although these devices represent the vast majority of streaming devices in the United States. Researcher Parks Associates estimated that nearly 70% of the streaming TVs installed in the country last year were either Roku or Amazon Fire TV products, and the companies have more than 80 million active users.
Stay up to date. Get the latest technical stories from CNET News every weekday.
HBO Max executives say they have apps for Roku and Fire TV, but the company must first sign contracts with these two distributors.
On the day HBO Max launched in the United States, Roku said that although HBO Max had not yet been installed on Roko's devices, HBO Max was looking forward to "helping HBO Max successfully scale its streaming business in the future." Roku said it focuses on mutually positive distribution agreements with all new services.
Amazon's comments on this topic were somewhat more fiery. The dead end with HBO Max is partly due to the Prime Video Channels from Amazon. With this service, users can subscribe to multiple streaming services in one place and pay through Amazon. In a statement on the day HBO Max launched, Amazon said nearly 5 million HBO streamers are subscribed to through Amazon's Prime Video Channels.
"Unfortunately, with the introduction of HBO Max, AT&T decides to deny these loyal HBO customers access to the expanded catalog," the company said. "We believe that if you pay for HBO, you are entitled to the new programming through the method you are already using. This is just good customer service and that is a priority for us."
AT & T fired back on Amazon in late July – but remained silent about Roku. "We have repeatedly tried to make HBO Max available to all customers with Amazon Fire devices, including those who purchased HBO through Amazon," said John Stankey, CEO of AT&T, referring to people who use HBO pay through Amazon Channels. "Unfortunately, Amazon has chosen an approach to treat HBO Max and its customers differently than how they treated other services and their customers."
HBO Max said on Thursday that there is nothing new to share. "We continue to work hard to reach agreements with the few remaining distributors to provide HBO Max on platforms for customers," said a spokeswoman. HBO Max had previously announced that it would have apps for Roku and Fire TV ready for use. However, the service must first do business with both companies.
What do I do if I have streamed HBO Go or Now on Roku or Fire TV?
The sunset of HBO Go and the rebranding of HBO Now on Saturday are causing difficulties for some users of Roku and Amazon Fire TV. Anyone who is currently streaming HBO Go on a Roku or Fire TV set will fail, without much guidance on how to cope.
You shouldn't notice much of a difference for older HBO Now customers. You should be able to log in to the HBO app with the same credentials that you used for HBO Now.
But what do you do when you rely on HBO Go to stream on a Roku or Fire TV?
If you're in this group, the good news is that you can unlock the newly renamed HBO app, but you'll need to jump through some tires first. AT&T pseudo-collapsed HBO Go and HBO Now together in the renamed HBO app. While this app doesn't include any additional originals, shows, or movies that you get with HBO Max, you can still stream regular HBO programs on Roku and Fire TV.
However, for older HBO Go customers, you will need to update your HBO Max HBO account. Once you have registered an email address and password with HBO Max, you can use your HBO Max credentials to log in to the newly renamed HBO app on Roku and Amazon Fire TV.
In addition, Roku noted that people who pay for HBO through Comcast, charter or AT&T TV, HBO can also stream in the Comcast Xfinity Stream, Spectrum TV and AT&T TV apps. Amazon did not respond to comments.
What does HBO Max cost?
HBO Max costs $ 15 a month to start with and will be tested for free for seven days.
John Stankey, CEO of AT&T, said HBO Max will introduce a cheaper, ad-financed tier early next year. He gave neither the price nor the exact start date or catalog restrictions for this level.
Before the start, people who pre-ordered the service from HBOMax.com unlocked a discount offer that reduced the price for the first year to $ 13 a month. Pre-ordered accounts did not qualify for the seven-day free trial.
HBO's standalone streaming service – HBO Now, which is simply to be renamed HBO – also costs $ 15 a month. Although HBO Now continues to operate under the optimized name HBO, HBO Max essentially replaces it.
Legacy HBO Now subscribers are welcome to use this service, but essentially pay the same amount for less programming. On mobile devices, the HBO Max app replaced the HBO Now app with an automatic software update on Apple and Android phones and tablets.
Compared to competing streaming services launched before HBO Max, pricing can feel steep. Disney Plus costs $ 7 a monthis $ 5. Both offer offers that can further reduce the price, or offer some customers longer free periods. Apple, for example, is giving away an annual subscription to anyone who has bought an Apple device since early September. And Disney has signed a contract with Verizon to give each cellphone subscriber to the cellphone provider a year for free.
How do I get HBO Max if I already pay for HBO? What does it cost me
It gets more complicated if you already have HBO and want to know what starting HBO Max means for you. Some people who already have a HBO subscription can unlock HBO Max at no additional cost..
Some HBO Max distributors unlock an HBO Max upgrade at no additional cost to current HBO and older HBO Now customers, thanks to the offers HBO Max has made with them. You qualify for the HBO Max upgrade at no additional cost if you already pay HBO through:
- (HBO's parent company) and DirecTV, U-Verse, AT&T TV Now, AT&T TV and AT&T Wireless users who can add HBO with certain unlimited plans
- or Google
- Altice USA and its Optimum and Suddenlink services
- Verizon and its Fios services
- Cox Communications
- The NCTC group of independent cable and broadband companies – including WOW !, Atlantic Broadband, RCN, Grande Communications & Wave, MCTV and others. (Check if your pay TV provider is an NCTC member.)
- Comcast X1 and Flex customers
However, it is unclear whether HBO Max will do more business with other pay TV providers, whether they are traditional providers like Dish or internet-based providers like Amazon Prime Video Channels and The Roku Channel.
Amazon said in a statement that nearly 5 million HBO streaming customers access their subscription through Amazon's Prime Video Channels. "Unfortunately, with the introduction of HBO Max, AT&T decides to deny these loyal HBO customers access to the expanded catalog," the company said. "We believe that if you pay for HBO, you are entitled to the new programming through the method you are already using. This is just good customer service and that is a priority for us."
AT&T also offers a complex matrix of promos for HBO Max. Some customers get Max at no additional cost, while others qualify for a one-month, three-month, or one-year free trial. The best way to find out whether you qualify is to check your account or the myAT & T app. However, CNET also lists AT & T's qualification requirements.
When does HBO Max start somewhere else?
HBO Max launched in the U.S. on May 27.
After that, the first international expansions of HBO Max will give priority to Latin America and Europe. Latin America will receive HBO Max in 2021, the company said.
HBO Max's U.S. timing will bring it towards the end of a parade of streaming service launches. Disney Plus and Apple TV Plus were launched in November. April brought Quibi, a mobile-only streaming service that contains short, episodic originals. Also in April, NBCUniversals Peacock launched a "sneak peek" at Comcast before launching nationwide on July 15th.
What are the product features of HBO Max?
HBO Max is a long-awaited feature for anyone streaming HBO Go. It offers downloads for its mobile apps. Unfortunately, like most things at HBO Max, the company doesn't have a clear answer as to whether there are any programming limitations that you can download.
HBO Max brokered a reported $ 425 million deal for all episodes of the 90s hit Friends who left Netflix to start streaming on HBO Max at launch.
"We don't have a clear answer for you about how many downloads are allowed, but it will be a very comfortable number for most people," said Andy Forssell, product manager at HBO Max. "The limit will likely be how much space you have in your Device, compared to our limit, and that will liberalize over time. "
With HBO Max, you can stream to three different devices at the same time. In comparison, Disney Plus allows four simultaneous streams and Netflix between one and four, depending on how much you pay each month.
You can also create up to five profiles to keep the recommendations for different household members separate. There are also child accounts that can be unlocked by entering a PIN. These parental controls allow mothers and fathers to determine the level of maturity of programs that every child's profile can access based on ratings such as PG and TV-14.
For HBO Now members, HBO Max automatically replaces the HBO Now mobile app with a software update.
The transition from HBO Now and HBO Go to HBO Max has one disadvantage, however: HBO Max does not retain part of your watch history when you switch from an existing HBO streaming account. So your personal recommendations start with a clean slate, and HBO Max won't know, for example, whether you've watched every episode of Game of Thrones three times or whether you're in the middle of the movie Joker and want to go back to where you left off .
Another missing element:Resolution or image quality with high dynamic range at startup.
Where can I register for HBO Max?
The easiest way to get HBO Max is to sign up directly at hbomax.com.
Via Apple, HBO Max will be an iOS app for iPhone and iPad, which you can use to register and pay via an in-app purchase. Apple will also integrate HBO Max into its own TV app, which allows you to collect certain streaming channels to watch in one place.
Via Google, HBO Max will have an app for Android phones and tablets in the Google Play Store, and you can log in to the app with an in-app purchase. You can also stream HBO Max to Android TV, Chromebook and Google Chromecast. If you have already subscribed to HBO Now via Google Play, you can automatically log in to HBO Max when you start and will continue to be billed via Google. HBO Max will also be broadcasting YouTube TV, the streaming pay TV service operated by Google's YouTube.
People with Samsung Smart TVs who support the HBO Max app can also register there directly.
Look at that:
HBO Max: How to get it
Shows and films: what can I see?
In general, HBO Max includes all shows and films on HBO, as well as a selection of high-quality licensed content such as Friends, The Big Bang Theory, Rick & Morty and South Park. It will layeron top of that. HBO Max originally planned to have 31 originals in the first year and up to 50 originals in the second year. Despite the corona virus, HBO Max will have 30 originals in the first year and 60 originals in the second year.
Now that the service is live, you can easily see what's available without signing in with a third-party catalog search service like Reelgood. The following section summarizes what HBO Max has and what's coming.
The easiest part of the catalog to understand is HBO itself. HBO Max contains everything that has to do with normal HBO. That means that all movies come and go from the channel. new episodes from all HBO series such as Perry Mason and Last Week Tonight With John Oliver; and the past seasons of these programs, as well as the full HBO back catalog such as Game of Thrones, Silicon Valley, Veep and The Wire; as well as all HBO original films, documentaries and specials.
Films are an integral part of the catalog. Any film that can be viewed on the traditional HBO network can also be streamed on HBO Max. The highlights of the HBO Max film catalog include: (but do not necessarily have to be available at the start):
- The Justice League's Snyder cut is scheduled to appear on HBO Max in 2021
- The complete sets of the trilogies The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings and The Matrix.
- The Lego films.
- DC films like Joker, Wonder Woman, Suicide Squad, Shazam, Aquaman and all Batman and Superman films of the past 40 years.
- Studio Ghibli Anime movies that have never been released for streaming in the U.S.
- Anime selections like Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and other top titles from the anime-focused streaming service Crunchyroll, which is also owned by AT&T.
- Classic films like The Wizard of Oz, Casablanca, Citizen Kane, Gone With The Wind, The Glow, Singing In The Rain, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Goonies, Blade Runner: The Final Cut, The Nightmare On Elm Street and many others .
- Newer hits like Crazy Rich Asians and A Star Is Born.
In addition, AT&T has licensed external hit shows to improve the HBO Max catalog. The most striking offers were:
- A reported $ 425 million deal for all episodes of Friends from the 90s that left Netflix to start streaming on HBO Max at launch
- A reported $ 500 million deal to stream the Big Bang theory
It has also secured past season offers from Rick and Morty; 11 of the last seasons of Doctor Who plus three more; CW dramas such as Pretty Little Liars, Batwoman and Riverdale spinoff Katy Keene as well as other upcoming CW series; The Prince of Bel-Air; The western wing; and British series like Luther and Ricky Gervais & # 39; Original The Office, among many others.
The animated satire South Park will not only contribute its full back catalog to HBO Max, but will also stream new episodes. South Park's latest episodes will air on HBO Max 24 hours after Comedy Central airs for the next three seasons.
And HBO Max will have exclusive new shows and films called Max Originals. In the original series by HBO Max, new episodes are mostly published weekly.
To start, the originals are:
- Love Life, the romantic comedy with Anna Kendrick, produced by Kendrick and Paul Feig, known for blockbuster comedies like Bridesmaids
- On the Record, a controversial Me Too documentary about record manager Russell Simmons.
- Legendary, a competition show based on underground drag balls.
- Craftopia, a series of handicrafts hosted by YouTuber.
- New Looney Tunes cartoons.
- The not too late show with Elmo.
After the launch, Max then published other originals, including:
- Karma, a blank children's adventure competition series – June 18.
- Doom Patrol, the second season of the DC Universe series – June 25th.
- Esme & Roy, the second season of the Sesame Workshop pre-school animation series – June 25th.
- Search Party, the third season of the comedy thriller that was originally broadcast on TBS – June 25.
- Adventure Time: Distant Lands-BMO, the first of four specials to revive Cartoon Network's Adventure Time franchise – June 25.
- Expect Amy, a three-part documentary about the life of comedian Amy Schumer on tour during her pregnancy – July 9th.
- Close Enough, an animated comedy about millennial roommates – July 9th.
- The Ho House, a multi-generation family document – July 16.
- Tig n & # 39; Seek, an animated children's series from Cartoon Network Studios about an 8 year old and his cat building devices – July 23.
And Max Originals with confirmed release dates include:
- Frayed, a screenplay comedy about a wealthy Londoner who returns to her Australian hometown on July 30th.
- The Dog House, an unwritten British animal rescue series – July 30th.
- American Pickle, the Seth Rogen comedy, the HBO Max & # 39; first original film, is about an immigrant from the 1920s who was kept in cucumber brine for 100 years and his great-grandson (both characters portrayed by Rogen) in what is now Brooklyn – August – meets. 6.
During the fall and beyond, HBO Max will add more originals, including:
- The Flight Attendant, with and by Kaley Cuoco based on the novel by Chris Bohjalian.
- The Friends unscripted Cast Reunion Special.
- Sci-Fi epic Raised by Wolves by director and executive producer Ridley Scott. The 10-episode series focuses on two androids raising human children on a mysterious planet. The show had already completed production in South Africa.
About half of the originals from HBO Max are aimed at young adults aged 16 to 34. The rest is shared between more adults and children, and family content outside of the HBO brand.
Some of the other highlights of the originals set for HBO Max are:
- New DC titles. A Green Lantern The series, which says producer Greg Berlanti (a TV guru for young adults behind Riverdale and Arrow), will travel to space and "promises to be our biggest DC show ever made". Weird adventure, a one-hour drama anthology series, also produced by Berlanti, that explores the overlapping lives of mortals and superhumans. DC Super Hero High will be a half-hour comedy by Elizabeth Banks, the producer and actress best known for the Hunger Games films and 30 Rock, that focuses on a group of teenage students at a boarding school for "gifted" children.
- J.J. Abrams. Abrams, known for a parade of television and box office hits, signed one To make projects for the company. On HBO Max, he will help produce a show that takes place in the Justice League Dark universe. Overlook, a thriller based on Stephen King's The Shining and set in the Overlook Hotel; and a 1970s crime series called Duster.
- Eine halbstündige Komödie der Schauspielerin-Produzentin Issa Rae. Raes Rap Sh * t Erforscht das Musikgeschäft in Miami mit den Augen von drei Frauen: einem aufstrebenden Hip-Hop-Duo und ihrem geschäftigen Manager.
- Eine halbstündige Komödie der Schauspielerin / Produzentin Mindy Kaling. College Girls (ein Arbeitstitel) verfolgt drei 18-jährige Mitbewohner am Evermore College in Vermont.
- Die Boondocks Die Zeichentrickserie erhält "zwei neu interpretierte Staffeln" sowie ein 50-minütiges Special, das ursprünglich für Herbst 2020 geplant war.
- Eine neue Jellystone-Animationsserie mit den klassischen Hanna-Barbera-Charakteren von Warner Bros. Animation.
- Eine neue Zeichentrickserie von Cartoon Network Studios heißt Die Fungies, sowie eine hybride Live-Action / animierte Komödie, Tooned Out, von Oscar-Preisträger Robert Zemeckis.
- Comedy-Specials von Conan O'Brien und dem Team hinter seiner TBS-Show. Sie werden fünf Stand-up-Specials für HBO Max entwickeln: O'Brien wird zwei Specials veranstalten, die kurze Sets aus mehreren aufstrebenden Comics enthalten und stundenlange Sets von drei Comedians kuratieren. Diese Tafel wird einem weiteren einstündigen Special des Komikers James Veitch beitreten.
Der Dienst wird eine kleinere Liste von Originalfilmen haben, zwischen fünf und zehn pro Jahr, gemäß dem ursprünglichen Plan. Zu den ersten Highlights auf dem Originalfilm gehören:
- Ein Zwei-Bilder-Deal mit Reese Witherspoons Hello Sunshine.
- Ein Dokumentarfilm über Anthony Bourdain.
- Ein Vier-Bilder-Deal mit Berlanti, einschließlich Unpregnant, über zwei Teenager-Mädchen, die einen Roadtrip nach New Mexico unternehmen, nachdem man herausgefunden hat, dass sie schwanger ist, basierend auf dem Roman für junge Erwachsene von Jenni Hendriks und Ted Caplan.
- Super Intelligence, eine Komödie mit Melissa McCarthy über eine Frau, deren romantisches Leben für die Beobachtung durch künstliche Intelligenz ausgewählt wurde.
- Bobbie Sue, ein Comedy-Spielfilm mit Gina Rodriguez von Jane the Virgin als aufstrebende junge Anwältin, die sich einer stickigen Anwaltskanzlei in Boston anschließt.
Wie passt HBO Max zu HBO Go und HBO Now?
Derzeit hat HBO insgesamt drei Streaming-Apps: HBO Max, HBO Now und HBO Go. Aber das Unternehmen wird HBO Go zum 31. Juli loswerden und HBO Now einfach in HBO umbenennen. Sobald die Änderungen abgeschlossen sind, stehen nur noch zwei Streaming-Apps zur Verfügung: HBO Max und HBO.
HBO Max ähnelt dem ErbeApps, aber mit zusätzlicher Programmierung und mehr Produktfunktionen. Im Allgemeinen waren HBO Now und HBO Go ungefähr dasselbe Produkt. Der Hauptunterschied besteht darin, wer sie verwendet: HBO Now war die eigenständige Streaming-App des Netzwerks, mit der sich jeder für 15 US-Dollar pro Monat anmelden konnte, ohne Teil eines Pay-TV-Pakets sein zu müssen, während HBO Go die App für Personen ist, die sie bereits haben ein HBO-Abonnement über einen Live-TV-Anbieter wie Kabel oder Satellit. Sowohl HBO Now als auch HBO Go haben alle im traditionellen HBO-Netzwerk von WarnerMedia verfügbaren Programme gestreamt.
Die meisten älteren HBO Now-Kunden können ohne zusätzliche Kosten auf HBO Max umsteigen. Die meisten Now-Benutzer, die ein Upgrade auf Max durchführen möchten, müssen lediglich die Nutzungsbedingungen, eine Datenschutzrichtlinie und eine Auswahl akzeptieren, die bestätigen, dass sie den erweiterten Katalog wünschen.
Für HBO Go-Benutzer. HBO Go wird durch ein Pay-TV-Abonnement freigeschaltet, HBO Max wird jedoch nicht für alle Pay-TV-Kunden freigeschaltet. (Gehen Sie zurück zum Abschnitt "Wie bekomme ich Max, wenn ich bereits HBO habe?", Um diese Details zu erfahren.)
WarnerMedias Entscheidung, loszuwerdenAb dem 31. Juli erschwert dies auch die Arbeit für Benutzer, die diese App zum Streamen mit Roku, Amazon Fire TV oder anderen Geräten verwenden, die HBO Max nicht unterstützen. Wenn HBO Max keine Verträge mit diesen Unternehmen abschließt, haben Personen, die sich auf HBO Go verlassen, um HBO-Programme mit einem Roku oder Fire TV zu streamen, keine einfache App, um dies zu tun, sobald HBO Go in den Ruhestand geht. To watch on TVs, these HBO pay-TV subscribers will need to watch HBO through their cable, satellite or other input, or through their pay-TV operator's own app, if one exists.
How is HBO Max different from all the rest of AT&T's streaming services?
AT&T itself has even more streaming services.
AT&T TV is similar to a cable or satellite pay-TV service, except it's delivered over the internet.includes live channels, DVR and video on demand that cable subscribers are familiar with, plus the ability to stream from apps like Netflix and Pandora. To watch on TVs, AT&T TV has its own proprietary streaming box that AT&T requires you use, and subscribers can watch everything on mobile devices with an app too. Right now, it starts at $50 a month for the cheapest tier's first year; the price jumps to $93 a month in the second year.
, on the other hand, is a along the lines of Sling TV or YouTube TV. If you were familiar with DirecTV Now, AT&T TV Now is just the renamed version of that service. Rather than requiring a specific box, it lets subscribers stream live channels to Rokus, Apple TVs, Fire TVs and more, and the channels are available on a mobile app as well. It also has a cloud DVR. Services like this are sometimes called skinny-bundle streaming services, but AT&T TV Now's cheapest package isn't particularly skinny — $55 a month for more than 45 live channels (not including HBO). Still, it isn't quite as robust as AT&T TV, which is meant to replicate the giant cable packages of traditional TV.
Finally, AT&T Watch TV is closer to a traditional skinny bundle. It offers more than 35 live channels, including AT&T-owned TBS, TNT and CNN. AT&T Watch TV is a free perk included with certain unlimited AT&T wireless data plans, but anyone can sign up for it for $15 a month. It was designed as a mobile-first service, but you can stream AT&T Watch TV to televisions with a few boxes, including Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV, but others aren't supported, like Roku boxes.